March 9, 2016
You are going to love this beautiful green St. Patrick's Day Cake with no dyes or food coloring. The secret ingredient in this St. Patrick's Day Cake, is.......... SPINACH.
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of white sugar
- 1 8 oz bag of spinach
- 3/4 cup of canola oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups white all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Start by greasing a 9x13 inch pan.
- Next, tear off the stems from the spinach leaves.
- Blend the spinach leaves in a food processor or blender until it is pureed into a paste that resembles baby food. (The better it's pureed, the better your cake will be. You don't want any large chunks of spinach in the cake.)
- In a medium size bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and creamy (it should look almost fluffy).
- Then add vanilla extract, canola oil, lemon juice and (approx) 1 cup pureed spinach. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- When cool, frost with your favorite frosting.