If you are looking for a simple recipe for your garden Zucchini, you might want to give this favorite of ours a try. It's out of the ordinary, quick and easy to make. Even my picking non-Zucchini loving hubs enjoys this one. The ingredients are common and easily found in most kitchens.
- 3 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Medium Zucchini (Sliced)
- 1 Onion (Roughly Chopped)
- 1 Container of Mushrooms (about 2 cups) (Cut in quarters)
- 1 small can Tomato Sauce (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Pepper Flakes to taste (the packages from Pizza Delivery are great for this)
- 1 Carton of Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1 Can condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (try Campbell's 98% fat free)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
In a large pot heat olive oil, combine vegetables, salt and pepper and cook until veggies are translucent (about 10 min). Add Tomato Sauce and Pepper Flakes, cook for about 5 more minutes (until saucy). Add Stock, reduce heat to simmer and cook until veggies are soft about 20 minutes.
Puree mixture with Immersion Blender or in Food Processor. Return to heat and add the Cream of Mushroom Soup. Stir until smooth and combined.
Top with your favorite crackers, you can also sprinkle with some fresh thyme or lemon zest for added freshness.
This soup freezes very well, is filling and low in fat and calories. It's also great with diced chicken or black beans added for protein.