Happy National S'mores Day! Boy, do I have a ooey, gooey delicious treat to share with you today – S'mores Cookie Bars. If you love 7 Layer Magic Bars and S'mores, then you will love these. Much like a real s'more, they have sticky marshmallows, creamy chocolate and a graham cracker crust but I also think you will love my two secret ingredients…white chocolate chips and Golden Grahams cereal. The white chocolate helps to balance the milk and semi chocolate and the Golden Grahams provide a nice crunch, similar to the nuts used in 7 Layer Magic Bars and are another layer of yummy graham cracker goodness.
First, you will want to crush the graham crackers into fine crumbs. I use my food processor but you could also use a rolling pin and crush them by hand in a zip top bag. Then add the melted butter and thoroughly blend it into the graham cracker crumbs. Now you are ready to pour the graham cracker crust mixture into a 9 x 13 pan that has been lined with parchment paper. (A little trick for using parchment paper…I like to use cooking spray and spray the pan so that the parchment paper sticks to the pan and doesn't move around on me.)
Pat the crust firmly into the pan with your hands and then you can pour on a 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk. Once the sweetened condensed milk is poured on you can sprinkle on half of the semi sweet chocolate chips (1\2 cup), half of the white chips (around 2/3 cup), half of the slightly broken up Golden Grahams cereal (3/4 cup). Follow this by spreading on all of the marshmallows (4 cups).
Tip – To break up the Golden Grahams cereal, put it in a sandwich size zip top bag and lightly break it up with your hands.
On top of the marshmallows, you will sprinkle on the remaining semi sweet chocolate chips, white chips and broken up Golden Grahams. Then put it in a 350 degree oven for 30 min or until marshmallows are golden brown.
As soon as you take the cookies out of the oven, break up 2 Hershey Chocolate Bars into bite sized pieces and set them evenly on the top of the cookies. They will melt into the cookies. While you could eliminate this step if you don't have the chocolate bars on hand, I think the Hershey chocolate pieces really make the cookies look like “s'mores” cookies and it adds a yummy, melty milk chocolate layer that makes them taste just like real s'mores too!
Because these bars are so sticky and delicious, I recommend refrigerating them for several hours until they are set. This will make it much easier to remove the parchment paper from the pan and to cut and serve them. However, if a warm s'more is what your looking for you can always eat them directly out of the pan with a fork and I promise not to tell anybody!
- 13 whole graham crackers or 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 10 tbsp butter, melted (1 stick + 2 tbsp)
- 1 -14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cups white chips
- 1 1/2 cups Golden Graham cereal (broken up into bite size pieces)
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 Hershey Bars, broken up into bite size pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper.
- Using a food processor, blend graham crackers into fine crumbs.
- Add melted butter to graham cracker crumbs and mix completely.
- Pour crumb mixture into 9x13 and press it down evenly to form a crust.
- Pour the whole can of sweetened condensed milk over the graham cracker crust.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the semi sweet chocolate chips, 1/2 of the white chips and 1/2 of the Golden Grahams cereal (broken up into bite size pieces) over the condensed milk.
- Sprinkle on all 4 cups of mini marshmallows over the previous layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips, white chips and Golden Grahams over the marshmallow layer.
- Press the toppings down firmly with your hands.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until marshmallows are golden brown.
- As soon as you take it out of the oven, break 2 Hershey bars into bite size pieces and place them evenly over the top of the cookies. (They will melt onto the cookies because they are still warm.)
- For best results, refrigerate until set and cut into 24 pieces.
- A fast way to break the cereal into bite size pieces is to put it into a sandwich size zip top baggie and break it up with your hands. Be sure not to over do it and turn the cereal into crumbs, you want nice crunchy bite size pieces.