In my neighborhood school started a couple of days ago. I don't know about your kids, but mine come home SO hungry. My daughter, who is in middle school, starts lunch at 9:45 am on early Fridays!! Can you believe that? Needless to say, she comes home very hungry. So, today I created this M&M Peanut Butter Energy Bites recipe for an after school snack and it was a hit!
What I love about these energy bites are that they only take 10 minutes to mix up and scoop into balls and they don't require turning on the oven, which is a total plus when it's still 90 degrees outside.
Sidenote: I used to be a JIF Peanut Butter snob. I ONLY bought JIF, until I tried Kroger peanut butter because it was on a case lot sale and now I only buy Kroger because it tastes the same to me and costs so much less! I would highly recommend picking up a case of peanut butter next time you see it at the case lot sale.
After thoroughly mixing all ingredients in a bowl, scoop out (I love my cookie scoop) 1 1/2 tablespoons and roll into a ball with your hands. Place balls onto a cookie sheet with baking mat or parchment paper on it. (I had to wash my hands about 3 times during the rolling process so that they balls would stick together and not to my hands.)
Place cookie sheet in the fridge for 30 minutes or until the bites are firm. (This is optional and they are delicious room temperature or cold, but cold bites stay together better are less sticky and are divine with a glass of milk.)
These are a good source of fiber and protein and are quite filling, perfect for an afternoon pick me up or after school snack. You can keep them in a Ziploc in the fridge or you can freeze them and take them with you on errands or to soccer practice. Hope you love these as much as we did!
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup ground flax
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup M&M semi sweet baking bits (mini or regular)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, semi sweet
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Add all ingredients together in a large bowl and stir until fully combined.
- Scoop up 1 1/2 tablespoons of mixture and roll into balls.
- Place them on a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes or until firm.
- Store the energy bites in the refrigerator or freeze for use later.
- Tips: Wash your hands if the mixture starts to stick to your hands.
- You can use milk chocolate M&M's if you can't find semi sweet M&M baking bits.
- These can be eaten at room temperature but I think they are best cold (with a big glass of milk)!