Loaded Mashed Potato Soup is one of my go-to recipes for the fall and winter. I love this simple, delicious and filling soup. It is so quick to whip up if you have left over mashed potatoes but you can make it any night by cooking a few potatoes in the microwave before you start.
Put mashed potatoes, chicken broth and milk into a large pot over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until heated through.
Add sour cream and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, I highly recommend this Cuisinart Smart Stick Hand Blender. It's currently on a really good sale at Amazon for $27.99 (reg. $65.00)
Add salt, pepper and cheddar cheese to potato mixture and stir until cheese is melted.
It makes about 8 cups of the most delicious, creamy soup!
As much as I love the soup, to me it is the toppings that really make the soup a standout. We serve crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar cheese and sliced green onions and let everyone put on their own toppings.
We love this soup so much that we purposely make extra mashed potatoes so that we can whip this up the next day for dinner. So yummy and warm on a cool fall evening. Enjoy!
- 3 cups of mashed potatoes (You can also microwave 1-1.5 lbs of potatoes and scoop the flesh out of the skin.)
- 14 oz. chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- crumbled bacon, sliced green onions and shredded cheddar cheese for garnish
- In a large pot, cook mashed potatoes, chicken broth and milk over medium heat until warm.
- Add sour cream to pot.
- Blend potato mixture until smooth using an immersion stick blender.
- Add 2 cups cheddar cheese, salt and pepper and stir until cheese is melted.
- Serve with crumbled bacon, sliced green onions and more cheddar cheese.
- If you don't have an immersion stick blender, you can carefully pour it into a blender and blend until smooth.
- I usually use 1% milk and fat free sour cream but you can use full fat products too.