June 27, 2018
You know the phrase, "What's more American than apple pie?", well in honor of the 4th of July, I want to share with you this delicious Apple Pie Filling Freezer Recipe that makes enough filling for two pies and can be frozen for up to one year!
I always use Granny Smith apples but any firm apple will work. You will need about 3 lbs of apples for 2 pies. Start by peeling and slicing the apples and tossing them with lemon juice.
In a large pot you will combine all of the dry ingredients, water and vanilla and bring to a boil. Boil for 2-3 minutes.
Then add apples and cover. Turn the heat to medium low and simmer for another 7-8 minutes.
You can use it immediately or let it rest on the counter for a couple of hours until it has cooled and then put it in gallon size freezer bags and store flat in the freezer until you want to use it. It will store in the freezer for up to 1 year!
Here is what a piece of Dutch Apple Pie looks like using this filling. It really is so good and thick, especially when the pie is completely cooled. Apple pie is one of my husband's favorite pies and he loved this homemade Apple Pie Filling!
- 3 lbs Granny Smith Apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstartch
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- 5 cups water
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- Peel and slice apples.
- In a large bowl, add apples and lemon juice and toss to coat the apples.
- In a large pot on the stove combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, water and vanilla.
- Stir and bring it to a boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add apples to pot, turn heat down to medium-low and cover.
- Simmer apples for 7-8 minutes.
- Use now or cool apple pie filling on the counter for several hours.
- Divide filling evenly into 2 gallon size freezer bags. (approx 4 cups each bag)
- Freeze filling for up to 1 year in the freezer.