July 21, 2017
I wasn't a big fan of meatloaf until about 10 years ago when I tried a recipe that had a "secret ingredient" and it changed the way I feel about meatloaf! It was so flavorful and not dry at all. Now, the only meatloaf I make are these Secret Ingredient Mini Meatloaves.
What is the secret ingredient??? Actually, there are two....Stove Top Stuffing and Heinz Savory Beef Gravy in a jar! No, they aren't paying me, it's just what I normally use. The stuffing takes the place of the bread crumbs and also the seasonings and the gravy adds so much flavor and keeps them moist. I think the fact that I make individual meatloaves also helps to keep them from drying out and shortens the cooking time so that they are ready in just 30 min.
Add all of the ingredients into a bowl (reserving half the jar of gravy for the tops) and mix it together with your hands (it really is the best way). I have always heard you want to thoroughly mix it but not over mix it, so that is what I try to do.
Cover your baking sheet with foil. Then divide your meat mixture into 8 equal parts and shape into mini loaves with your hands. (This recipe makes 8 mini meatloaves which make great leftovers if you don't need that many or you can half the recipe.)
**Frugal tip - Both the gravy and the stuffing goes on sale around Thanksgiving. If you love this as much as we do, pick up a few of each and put them in the pantry and this can be one of your go to meals all year long!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 6 oz package stuffing for turkey
- 12 oz jar of beef gravy
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put meat, eggs, water, stuffing and half of the jar of gravy into a bowl and mix with your hands until combined.
- Shape into 8 loaves and put onto a foil lined baking sheet.
- Spoon the remaining half jar of gravy over the tops of the meatloaves.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until the center is no longer pink.
- The stuffing and gravy both go on sale around Thanksgiving. Buy several of each and keep them in your pantry to use throughout the year!