This Lemon Chicken recipe is quickly becoming one of our favorites. The first time I served it my kids said, “Wow, Mom! Fancy dinner!”. It's really simple and only takes about 30 minutes to make but it looks impressive and tastes amazing!
One of the great things about this recipes is that all of the ingredients are probably in your house right now. Chicken breasts, flour, lemon pepper, butter, chicken broth, lemon juice and sugar. The lemon and parsley are a garnish, so they aren't necessary but they sure do make it look impressive and give it a fresh taste.
First, just mix the lemon pepper and flour and dredge the chicken. Dredge just means to dip the meat in a coating. Dredging helps to keep the chicken moist.
I pan fry the chicken over medium heat (350 degrees in my electric skillet) in some butter until it's nice and brown on both sides and no longer pink in the thickest part of the breast. For most chicken breasts, it is about 10 minutes per side.
When the chicken is fully cooked, you take it out of the pan and set aside with foil over it to keep it warm while you make a quick pan sauce.
While the pan is still on medium heat, you want to pour the can of chicken broth in and whisk it around to release the tasty brown bits in the pan. This is called, deglazing the pan. Then add the lemon juice, sugar and remaining butter and let the sauce cook and reduce for about 10 minutes or until it is thick and glossy.
Then put the chicken back into the frying pan and turn it until it's coated with the lemon sauce. Top with lemon slices and parsley. That's it, 30-40 minutes and it's on the table ready to be devoured!
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 14 oz chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 3 Tablespoons chopped parsley, optional
- 1 sliced lemon, optional
- Combine flour and lemon pepper in a shallow dish.
- In a large frying pan or electric skillet, melt 3 Tablespoons butter over medium heat. (350 degrees if using an electric skillet.)
- Dredge each chicken breast in flour mixture and pan fry approximately 10 minutes on each side or until golden brown and 165 degrees internal temperature.
- Remove chicken from pan and cover loosely with foil.
- With the pan still on medium heat, pour chicken broth in the pan and whisk to release the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add lemon juice, sugar and 1 Tablespoon butter to pan and let it cook for approximately 10 minutes or until it has reduced by at least half and is glossy and thicker.
- Add chicken back to pan and turn to coat in the lemon sauce.
- Top with chopped parsley and sliced lemon.
- Serve immediately.